Rozi’s Wine House Sold

Rozi’s Wine House is a pillar establishment in the Lakewood community, and has been around for over 79 years. Rozi’s was founded by Maurice Rossen in 1939; it was then taken over by his son (Warren), and grandson (Gary). In May 2018, Jim Wooley and Bill Barack bought the store from longtime owner Gary Rossen. Luckily, this new ownership seems like a quiet transition that most customers will not even notice.

One of the new owners, Jim Wooley, began working at Rozi’s when he was just 18 years old. He is now 61 years old, and throughout those 43 years, he was able to build a good relationship with the past owner. This eventually led to him purchasing the business with his co-worker. The most important approval of this deal was from Warren. When Gary informed him of Jim Wooley taking over the store, he said, “That’s great”.

One of the main goals of the Rossen family was to keep Rozi’s Wine House an independent Lakewood retailer. They do not want to become a chain; they want to keep their unique atmosphere. This atmosphere is created from their customer service, and also their ability to offer more products than a typical grocery store. This customer service includes being able to cater to both beer and wine drinkers. And as local Paul Howard says, “It has a memorable atmosphere with great service and reasonable prices”.

Even though there are new owners, it seems like the Rozi’s we all know and love will maintain the same look and feeling that it always has–the one that keeps customers coming back.