Varsity Girls Tennis Finishes 2nd in SWC Championship

As the 2018 season comes to an end, the girls’ varsity tennis team has just one match left before they move on to sectionals starting Wednesday, October 3rd.

The team recently earned second place overall in the Southwestern Conference Tournament that took place on Tuesday, September 18th and finals on Saturday, September 22nd.

Aside from overall finish in second, the team had three individual second place titles. Second singles player, Erin Kelly, third singles player, Sarah Yonkers, and first doubles team, Clare Harvey and Molly Roche, made it to the final round and all walked away with silver medals.

Erin Kelly commented on the tournament saying, “It is very exciting to be part of such a strong team; we all worked really hard and I’m so happy that it payed off for us.”

Sarah Yonkers also contributed, “I’m really proud of the team and our success. I think our constant support of one another really pushed us to the top.”

The team also just celebrated their six senior players on senior night with a match against Normandy that ended in a 5-0 win for Lakewood.

Senior Clare Harvey commented on senior night saying, “It was really nice that we got to celebrate such a great team. The parents and younger team members really made the night special with the dinner and gifts.”

All in all, the 2018 season was a major success as the team caps the season off with their second place win at the SWC Championship and an overall record of 13-1. The team is in great shape as they head in to the 2018 Sectionals Tournament!