Vogue Apologizes After Controversial Kendall Jenner Image

Vogue has released promotional photos for the Vogue/CFDA Fashion Fund showed Jenner wearing a “Afro-like” hairstyle, sparking cultural appropriation accusations on social media.

This isn’t the first time Vogue has been under fire for cultural appropriation. An example being the use of blackface in Vogue Netherlands. The magazine posted images of the model on Instagram, where the negative comments about Jenner’s “Afro-like” hairstyle came flowing in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpDK75mFZD8/?taken-by=voguemagazine

Many took to social media to share their opinions on the ad campaign. Others defended the photo saying it was a “curled and teased” hairstyle.

“Why did you use a white celebrity for this shoot instead of a person of color who rocks this hair naturally?” wrote one Instagram user.

(credit: Twitter.com)

“I’m all for my people but y’all are really reaching,” a person wrote, “her hair is curled and teased this does not look like an afro.” (credit: USA Today)

In a statement, the Condé Nast publication explained how the photos were meant to wake a nostalgic, evocative of the early 20th century.

“The image is meant to be an update of the romantic Edwardian/Gibson Girl hair which suits the period feel of the Brock Collection, and also the big hair of the ’60s and the early ’70s, that puffed-out, teased-out look of those eras,” the magazine told E! News. “We apologize if it came across differently than intended, and we certainly did not mean to offend anyone by it.”

The “Edwardian/Gibson Girl” hairstyle statement refers to popular paintings in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by artist Charles Dana Gibson’s  and his series of “Gibson Girls” paintings. The portraits often featured women wearing voluminous and teased hairstyles. (credit: ThisIsInsider)

Jenner has not responded about the controversy. Jenner is one of the most top successful models today and has a large social media following.

“Kind of weird to see it on someone not of color but it doesn’t seem disrespectful,” says Brianna Goins, 11th grader here at Lakewood High School.