Cleveland Cavaliers Let Lue Go

The Cleveland Cavaliers have let go of head coach Tyronn Lue as the team started the season with six straight losses.

The team’s general manager, Koby Altman, said that, “We thank him for the many ways he has contributed to our success,” adding, “This is a different team equation, though, and one that we felt needed a different voice and approach that required this change.”

CBS Sports reported that assistant coach Larry Drew is the team’s pick to fill the position of interim coach until a permanent head coach is found.

According to ESPN reporter Adrian Wojnarowski, Lue led the Cavs to three NBA finals as well as the 2016 championship. The team has not been performing as competitively following the loss of both Kyrie Irving and LeBron James.

It was also speculated by ESPN that the recent loss of LeBron James put Lue in a “tough spot.”

Senior Chris Thelen said that this could be attributed to the fact that, “the team was most successful when LeBron was starting. He just made them better.”

When James left the team in 2009 to play for Miami,  the team’s record suffered (19-63). Upon his return in 2014, their record significantly improved (53-29) according to Land of Basketball.

Now playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, James responded to Lue’s removal in a tweet that read: “T Lue thanks for the memories and more importantly our partnership bringing home a [trophy] to that deserved city/fan base. [You] know how to find me.”

It is clear that Tyronn Lue will indeed be missed, but it is also clear that a change was needed for the Cleveland Cavaliers.