Global Warming

Global Warming

Have you ever walked outside in the middle of June to see snow falling? No? Well, this may sound weird now, but it could be happening in our near future. Global warming is a serious issue that needs to be addressed before it is too late.

Global warming is a gradual increase of the overall temperature of the earth’s general atmosphere due to greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases are gasses that contribute to the greenhouse effect by absorbing infrared radiation, such as carbon dioxide.

More than 90% of the excess heat trapped by greenhouse gas emissions has been absorbed into the oceans that cover  two-thirds of the planet’s surface, according to insideclimatenews.org. They also reported that the ocean temperatures are rising as well and it is not just the way the climates are rising, it is the pace that the climate is rising at as well. Global warming is an enormous issue that needs to be addressed now before it is too late. Lakewood High Schools own sophomore Mariah Kaim said “Global warming is a very serious issue that needs to be seen and addressed.”

People tend to push global warming to the side. They claim that it does not exist and is not an issue for the earth, even with the facts of the matter staring them in the face! The rate at which the oceans are heating up has nearly doubled since 1992. Global warming is also a problem for the glaciers. As the heat increases, the glacier sizes decrease but where does all of that glacier go? Well, the glaciers melt and are starting to flood Antarctica and Greenland and that water will soon spill over into the rest of the states. Some states are starting to flood. Sewers and drains are starting to overfill and spill into the streets. In some cases, there is so much water to the point of where they have to raise their streets and such to keep from going under, literally.