Search for Missing North Carolina Teen Leads to the Discovery of a Body

On the morning of November 5th, the Aguilar family experienced tragedy.  Thirteen year-old Hania Noelia Aguilar was abducted outside of her home in Lumberton, North Carolina. An Amber Alert was issued for her after a witness saw Hania being forced into a vehicle by a man wearing a yellow bandana and black clothing. According to police the vehicle was a relative’s SUV that was parked in the driveway.

The investigation lead authorities to finding out that the SUV was abandoned at the Rosewood Mobile Home Park, which is 10 miles away from Hania’s home. It is believed that she did not know her abductor. Her family is cooperating with authorities to try to bring her home.

The Lumberton Police are working alongside the FBI. Residents who have video surveillance systems are being asked to save any footage, even if they do not see the vehicle in it, and contact the authorities. A photo of Hania’s shoes were released hoping to bring in more tips.

Authorities have followed over 800 leads, reviewed hours of surveillance videos and interviewed over 400 people. A reward for information leading to her being found has risen to $20,000, according to Lumberton Police Chief, Michael McNeill.

During the search for Hania, a body has been discovered. In a statement from the FBI it was shared that the body was found on Tuesday afternoon in Robeson County, just miles from her home. While the body has not been identified, the Aguilar family was notified “out of an abundance of caution” according to the FBI.

When Lakewood High School student, Emily Perry, was asked about her thoughts on the case she said, “This is so scary to hear about. Even though it happened in North Carolina, you never know if it could happen to you.”