Urban Meyer’s Last Game as a Buckeye

Urban Meyer has been the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes for the last 7 years. He arguably has one of the best resumes over this 7 year span. Coach Meyer went 82-9 and captured the first National Championship in the playoff era. Also, he never lost to Michigan as he went a perfect 7-0 against his rival.

Coach Meyer joined the Buckeyes in 2012 and immediately turned their program around by going undefeated in his first year after going 6-7 under head coach Luke Fickle. What made Urban such a dominate coach was his recruiting style. Year after year, the Buckeyes were able to sustain success because of the way he recruited. There was a certain respect for him around the nation that he would get 5-star players into the program and have them compete at a high level rather quick. For example, in 2014, Freshman quarterback J.T Barrett led the Buckeyes to the playoffs.

This year seemed to be Urban’s toughest as a Buckeye. Before the season, Urban was caught lying to the media about Zack Smith’s domestic violence case and he was dealt a three game suspension for his actions. Throughout the year, the Buckeyes didn’t play up to their potential until the last two games as they were in many close galls against lower level teams. They still went 11-1 and won the Big Ten Championship, but this took a toll on Urban’s mental health. It is well-known that coach Meyer has been dealing with a cyst in his head for a while now and the stress of coaching caused his pain to increase. There are many instances this season where he is seen holding his head or kneeling down in pain because of his headaches. Senior Adam Hacsher said, “You could definitely tell it was time for him to go.”

Urban Meyer had one of the greatest 7-year stretches a coach has ever had. He will coach his last game as a Buckeye in the Rose Bowl on New Years Day. Co-offensive coordinator, Ryan Day, was named head coach for next year. While Urban was suspended, coach Day went 3-0 and beat 15th ranked TCU earlier this season.