The Moral and Legal Dilemma of Abortion

The Moral and Legal Dilemma of Abortion

When discussing abortion it is common for there to be multiple viewpoints on the highly debated subject. Abortion is the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy thus resulting in the cessation of a life. The big question is: what is the limit for a mother to legally abort her child or should there be a limit at all? When answering this question you must decide whether the fetus is a human or just a “ball of cells,” and if the government should have the power to limit a mother’s rights.

If you believe that there is a life or potential life inside of the mother after conception the classification of the intended termination of that life would be classified as murder based on its definition (the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another). “For me, life begins at conception and all life is precious,” stated Stephanie Toole, a mother of seven. If you share the same thoughts as Toole, that a the fetus is in fact a human life, that would then outlaw abortion as a whole. If you disagree with the idea that the fetus is a human being from a legal stand point you would be protected under law to abolish the fetus.

There are other viewpoints besides that of Toole, some take into consideration women’s rights, as Sophie Sanders, a local teen said, “By taking away a woman’s right to abortion, you are taking away her right to make choices for herself.”

Others are somewhere in the middle, believing one should have the right but may not want one themselves, “I don’t think it’s a good thing and personally I would never get one however, no one should be denied the right especially in the case of rape, incest, drug use, or if the kid were to be raised in an unhealthy environment,” stated McKenzie Lane.

Overall, everyone has the right to their own opinion, the ethics of abortion remain challenged and so does its legality.

Photo credit – https://www.google.com/search?q=abortion&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwishNHy5JrfAhVzpoMKHb5FA_EQ_AUIDygC&biw=1324&bih=666#imgrc=a78MfFV-zi39kM: