The Puppy Bowl

The Puppy Bowl

This Sunday, February 3rd, while you are waiting for the Super Bowl to begin, you can tune in on Animal Planet to watch the Puppy Bowl. The Puppy Bowl begins at 3 p.m. and will go on for two action packed hours. 93 dogs participated this year, three of which had special needs. These dogs were divided up into two teams: Team Ruff and Team Fluff. These two teams will compete in a football-like game in order to win the Lombarky Trophy. During the halftime show, all different types of animals will be featured; including kittens, a sloth, a baby porcupine, a baby kangaroo, and a capybara.

This will be the 15th Puppy Bowl, with the first one airing on February 6th, 2005. The goal of the Puppy Bowl is to get dogs adopted. Now, the Puppy Bowl features stories of dogs shelters all over the United States and Puerto Rico. This year, the puppies participating will come from areas around the country that were hit hard with natural disasters: Miami, Houston, and Puerto Rico.

The Puppy Bowl is not just around for the entertainment, but also to spread awareness about animals and their health and safety. Every puppy who participates will be put up for adoption. And the Bowl’s message must be working, because back in 2011, 2.6 million animals were euthanized. But only 1.5 million animals were euthanized this past year.

Lakewood High School student, Jordan Esposito, has watched the Puppy Bowl before and said, “It is funny to watch. Also, the cause is great: to get animals adopted and not have as many animals euthanized each year.” So make sure that you tune in this year to the Puppy Bowl.