Shooting At The Border Of Brazil And Venezuela

At 6:30 a.m. on Friday, February 22nd, a convoy of Brazilian soldiers advanced towards a checkpoint established by the natives living in the southern village of Kumarakapai which is the main route linking Brazil to Venezuela.

According to The Washington Post “(The) Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Thursday ordered the closure of Venezuela’s border with Brazil.” When a group of Volunteers attempted to halt the Brazilian Military’s Vehicles soldiers began to open fire, Killing Zorayda Rodriguez and Wounding 12 more. Of the twelve that were wounded only four are seriously injured.

The United States denounced the shooting, “The United States condemns the killings, attacks, and the hundreds of arbitrary detentions that have taken place in Venezuela,” “We stand with the victims’ families in demanding justice and accountability,” a State Department spokesman said.

Following the shooting Juan Guaidó, an opposition leader began to fire tweets that call for action, “In the community of Kumarakapay, 2 soldiers shot against Pemones that were at a checkpoint. The result of this crime is 12 people wounded and one dead. Our solidarity is with them. It will not go unpunished.” He also tweeted, “To soldiers: between today and tomorrow, you will define how to be remembered. We know you are with the people, you have made it clear to us. Tomorrow you can demonstrate it.”

When we asked students attending Lakewood High School, a senior that asked to remain anonymous stated, “It’s a big domino effect, political hostilities cause lots of verbal arguments which lead to acts of physical aggression, this happens all around the world. It is sad to see things like that occur so often.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/one-dead-multiple-injured-after-venezuelan-national-guard-opens-fire-on-opposition-supporters/2019/02/22/09d60f1a-3518-11e9-8375-e3dcf6b68558_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aab11201fcec