Cohen Testimony

REUTERS
    Michael Cohen, the former personal attorney of U.S. President Donald Trump, is sworn to testify before a House Committee on Oversight and Reform hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S.

Michael Cohen will be going to prison on charges of perjury and tax evasion in a few weeks. On Wednesday, he testified against the president on a number of charges ranging from knowledge of a DNC email leak to hush-money payments to a former adult-film star.

There were four main things Cohen mentioned. Firstly, Stormy Daniels, the adult-film star who testified to having an extra-marital affair with Trump, and the hush-money payments she received. Cohen brought evidence- a $35,000 dollar check- to this trial.

Additionally, Cohen testified to overhearing a phone call between Trump and Roger Stone. Cohen stated, “In July 2016, days before the Democratic convention, I was in Mr. Trump’s office when his secretary announced that Roger Stone was on the phone. Mr. Trump put Mr. Stone on the speakerphone. Mr. Stone told Mr. Trump that he had just gotten off the phone with Julian Assange and that Mr. Assange told Mr. Stone that, within a couple of days, there would be a massive dump of emails that would damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Mr. Trump responded by stating to the effect of ‘wouldn’t that be great.'”

Cohen also claimed that Trump knew that his son, Donald Trump Jr, planned to meet with a Russian lawyer to obtain information on Hillary Clinton. However, this claim remains unsupported by evidence with the exception of Cohen’s testimony.

Lastly, Cohen told the American public that Trump is “a racist, a cheater, and a con-man” and not to be trusted. These words, coming from his once closest advisor, could bring harm to the White House.

According to LHS senior, Tayt Armitage, this testimony should be under careful scrutiny. “Cohen was just indicted for perjury. His claims should be investigated, especially those with little evidence, before being blindly trusted.”