Odell Beckham to Cleveland

Around 8 o’clock on Wednesday night, word broke out that the Browns have traded for Pro-Bowl wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.  According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the trade involves the Browns sending their first-round pick in 2019 (No. 17 overall), one of the Browns third-round picks this year as well as safety Jabrill Peppers.

Baker Mayfield, who should have been the 2018 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, will be throwing to Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, and David Njoku. He also has a young running back in Nick Chubb who ran for just under 1000 yards last year. This is suddenly a filthy offense the Browns are trotting out onto the field as they hope to contend for the division title. Senior Adam Hascher added, “They might even be a Super Bowl contender now”.

Beckham will cost the Giants $16 million in dead cap space this year as a result of him being traded, with New York freeing up $5 million in salary cap space. There will be some people who point to the Giants needing to move on from Beckham because of his personality but I think the franchise wants to focus on their star running back, Saquon Barkley. The reality is Beckham has been one of the best receivers in the history of football through the first five years of his career. He averaged 78 catches, 1,095 receiving yards and just shy of nine touchdowns per season over the course of his career with the Giants.