“Us” by Jordan Peele

Jordan Peele’s follow-up film to “Get Out” is an eerie commentary, somehow more unsettling than the freshman prequel. The plot goes as follows: Adelaide Wilson returns to her childhood home surrounded by her family, but trauma from the past clouds her mind–and internalized fears come to fruition when four attackers descend on the house. Masks eventually come off to reveal the identities of the attackers are the family–identical copies of her husband, children, and herself. They must fight for their lives against themselves.

In order to avoid spoilers, I won’t go into the plot development any further, but I will say this: the theories are endless. When Adelaide’s alter-ego Red is asked what they are, Red replies,”We’re American.” One theory, however, makes the most logical sense–Judgement Day.

The Judgement Day tone is set by a man holding a sign inscribed,”Jeremiah 11:11″. This Bible verse is as follows: “Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.” This seems to be the most likely theory–that Judgement Day is fast approaching and merciless. What is most disturbing, however, is that human action (the creation of the “tethered” beings, or identical copies of every person by scientists) is the downfall of a nation.

Regardless of countless theories and speculation, Peele meant to make something more than a horror movie, and he succeeded. The commentary about our country is so deeply and profoundly embedded in the film–it’s almost impossible to miss. Watch the movie closely, and then from a broader perspective to feel the full weight of Jordan Peele’s spooky Sophomore film “Us”, in theaters now.