What is Brexit?

What is Brexit?

The British exit, commonly referred to as Brexit, is the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.  According to BBC: “The EU is a political and economic union of 28 countries which trade with each other and allow citizens to move easily between the countries to live and work.” 

The UK joined the union in 1973 and in more recent years motioned to withdrawal. A referendum held on June 23rd, 2016 resulted in 51.9% voting to leave the European Union. 

The withdrawal agreement addresses concerns over how much money the UK will owe the EU to break the partnership, what will happen to EU citizens living in the UK and visa versa, as well as how to maintain control of Northern Ireland.

On March 29, 2017, the U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May submitted the Article 50 withdrawal notification to the EU. It gave the U.K. and EU until March 29, 2019, to negotiate an agreement.

This date has since been postponed seeing as the Members of Parliament rejected the deal for a third time.

Senior Ally Latham commented on the conflict saying: “I am most anxious to see what happens between the UK and Northern Ireland as a result of Brexit.”

The new date for voting is April 12th, 2019. If a deal is not negotiated by then, it is possible that this conflict will be debated throughout European Parliament elections. Otherwise, by default, the UK will leave the EU without making any deals.