Indians Lose Opening day in Minnesota

Indians Lose Opening day in Minnesota

On Thursday, March 28 The Tribe opened the season on the road against the Minnesota Twins. The Indians plan to play their home opener on Monday, April 1 against the Chicago White Sox.

Marwin Gonzalez a newbie for the Twins would end up hitting a two-run double in the seventh inning to take the lead and win the game. The Indians would fall to the Twins 2-0 in a hard-fought pitching battle. Jose Berrios outlasted Corey Kluber in a 6 inning shutout for both teams. Not only was this a big win for the twins this gave manager Rocco Baldelli a win in his debut.

2018 all-star Jose Berrios set a Twins opening day record with 10 strikeouts. Berrios who is 24 wound up being the youngest opening day starter for the Twins since 1996. Berrios allowed just two hits and one walk in 7 2/3 innings, everything was working especially his curveball. Taylor Rogers would go in to relieve and recorded the last four outs for the save, stretching his scoreless streak to 27 straight innings.

Kluber didn’t deserve the defeat, He would go on to retire the first 14 batters he faced until Gonzalez drew a walk. Byron Buxton broke up the no-hitter with a one-out double in the sixth. In the seventh, the Twins jumped on Kluber and took the lead. Big hits by new twins players were the difference in the game.

We talked to LHS varsity baseball player Jarod Yocabet and asked him his thoughts on the game. I’m really glad baseball season is starting up again, and I can’t wait to catch some Indians games in the summer–” Yocabet would go on to say, “I’m not gonna lie I couldn’t tell you who half the Indians’ roster is, so many new players. I think that once our guys get off their injuries and we start playing together we will be all good.”