Bipolar Disorder: It’s Not a Joke

What is bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, is a condition that results in severe mood swings and manic episodes. People with Bipolar disorder have emotional highs and lows that are very extreme; they aren’t just instant. These highs and lows can last for weeks or even months.

Types of Bipolar Disorder

There’s two types of Bipolar disorder. “Bipolar I disorder: You’ve had at least one manic episode that may be preceded or followed by hypomanic or major depressive episodes. In some cases, mania may trigger a break from reality (psychosis). Bipolar II disorder: You’ve had at least one major depressive episode and at least one hypomanic episode, but you’ve never had a manic episode”(www.mayoclinic.org).

Hypomania & Mania

Mania and hypomania (hypomania being less severe than mania) episodes make a person jumpy and excited, have exaggerated self-confidence and happiness, racing thoughts, careless spending, decreased need for sleep, overly generous, and very scatter-brained. This can go on for days and even weeks.

Depressive Episodes

Major depressive episodes last for more than two-week periods. Someone who is Bipolar will feel depressed for most or all of the day. There is overwhelming feelings of sadness, anger, emptiness, hopelessness, and crying for no reason. Other symptoms include a lack of motivation and no interest in activities that are normally enjoyable. A decrease or increase in appetite and weight, heavy sleeping, loss of energy, trouble concentrating, feeling worthless, and suicidal thoughts are things that are present  in lives of those with Bipolar disorder. They must have at least three of these symptoms or other major depressive symptoms in order to be diagnosed.

Be Mindful

Bipolar disorder is not a joke. It’s not just someone with normal mood swings or bad attitude; people with bipolar disorder struggle everyday and put in so much effort just to try to live normal lives. Put yourself in their shoes and try to imagine what it’s like going through life never knowing how stable you will be that day. In our society, Bipolar disorder isn’t talked about enough and is often times used as a joke towards people who are happy and then get mad or upset about something that has happened. I hear all the time, people calling themselves Bipolar for having regular human mood swings. Try to understand that there is real people suffering from this very real disorder. It’s not a slang term for moody people. It’s real. It effects lives.