Kelsey Saxton

Kelsey Saxton

Kelsey Saxton is a senior at Lakewood High School. She is being recognized for her outstanding academic success. Kelsey is a hard-worker in and out of the classroom. She is a stellar athlete. Kelsey runs track and cross-country for Lakewood High School.

Q. What are your plans after college?

A. My plans after college are to attend a two-year residency at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in California. I plan to study under a pediatric neurosurgeon. Once those two years are over, I plan to apply to Rainbow Babies  and Children’s Hospital.

Q. What or who inspired you to want to go down this path?

A. My motivation has been derived from the times I have spent with my nephew, Owen. Owen has multiple neurological disorders. This results in him having many seizures at any time. He is seven and is still not able to form a sentence on his own. He also is unable to do things on his own. I want to be able to help children like Owen.

Q. How do you manage to balance your academics and your sports life?

A. I use my class time effectively. I do this because I know that when I go home, I will not have much free-time. I try to not only get the classwork done for that day, but I also try to get the homework done for that night. I also utilize the two study halls I have to my advantage.

Q. What are some of the hardest obstacles you have had to overcome academically?

A. For the longest time, I did not understand my AP Biology class that I am in now. It frustrated me because I know that this class is one that will be essential to my career path.