First images of a Black Hole

REUTERS
    REFILE – CORRECTING SPELLING The first ever photo of a black hole, taken using a global network of telescopes, conducted by the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project, to gain insight into celestial objects with gravitational fields so strong that no matter or light can escape, is shown in this handout released April 10, 2019. Event Horizon Telescope (EHT)/National Science Foundation/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVE.

The first ever picture of a black hole was revealed Wednesday when the Event Horizon telescope snapped a blurry image of a black hole in the middle of a gigantic galaxy called M87.

This photo though it doesn’t look like much is a remarkable image this black hole is 55 million light years away from earth and is 6.5 million times more massive than our own sun and has a diameter of 24 billion miles.

This is a big step for science because black holes by some were thought of as just a theory and not an actual thing but now with this blurry image, we can know for sure that there are black holes in the universe.

“A once-in-a-lifetime result,” said Shep Doeleman, director of the Event Horizon Telescope, the international team of scientists who created the image using a network of radio telescopes linked together to form a single, Earth-size observatory.

Black holes are created when massive stars run out of their hydrogen fuel making them collapse into their center and pulls everything things around them into them and nothing can escape not even light. Since light can’t even escape this is what gives a black hole its black appearance.

One remarkable thing about this image is just how much it resembles the computer-aided models made with Einstein’s theory of relativity equations. These findings are kind of ironic because Einstein didn’t even believe in black holes himself saying that while his equations indicated that such objects were theoretically possible, they “do not exist in physical reality.”

“Tho it’s a really blurry image it still interesting to think that the light from this black hole left it 55 million years ago.” Lakewood’s Sam Csora says.