What happened to the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris ?

The Notre-de Paris is a medieval cathedral on the island of  Île de la Cité  in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France. The French Cathedral is known to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture. Construction on The Cathedral started around 1160 and was completed by 1260. Every now and then, they do construction on it to keep it from falling down.

The Cathedral has inspired many works such as Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. Around 12 million people visit Notre-Dame yearly, and it’s the most visited monument in Paris.

On April 15, 2019, the Cathedral caught on fire around 7 PM local time. More than 400 firefighters battled the flames, which quickly spread along the roof structure. The fire has caused the collapse of the entire roof and substantial damage to the rose windows.

The stone vault remained largely intact, and the interior was described as ‘relatively untouched’. Luckily, many artifacts were saved and president Emmanuel Macron announced that the Notre-Dame will be rebuilt.

So far, not much has been released about what has caused the Notre-Dame Cathedral to erupt into flames, but the people of Paris are definitely expecting an explanation on the mysterious fire.

Salma Hayek’s billionaire husband pledges $100 million to the Notre-Dame rebuild. France’s richest man doubled his donation, offering $200 million to help rebuild the Cathedral.

Bayard Taylor, a Paris resident said, “Walking at random through the streets , we came by chance the Cathedral of Notre Dame. I shall long remember my first impression of the scene within. The lofty gothic ceiling arched far above my head and through the stained windows the light came, but dimly it was all still, solemn and religious.”