San Diego Synagogue Shooting

On April 27, 2019, a local synagogue was attacked by a gunman on the last day of Passover, one of the holiest days of the year.

With one dead and three injured, including the Rabbi, the community and the nation are left with grief and heartache and are trying in many ways to help and give support. After the Synagogue shooting in Pittsburg just in October the Jewish community has been in devastation.

The alleged shooter, 19-year-old John Earnest, fired 8 rounds of bullets into the synagogue. Killing 60-year-old Lori Kaye and injured the Rabbi who said he came face to face with the gunman and “He had sunglasses on. I couldn’t see his eyes. I couldn’t see his soul.”

After being shot at the Rabbi went towards the child day care and yelled at them to get out. Then the Gunman fled, it is still unclear why, but is possible the gun malfunctioned. An off-duty border patrol agent proceeded to chase after him.

Right before the shooting an anonymous message from someone claiming to be Earnest was posted, talking about killing Jewish people and how his intention to kill jews would glorify God.

Sophomore Kate Healy says “Its heart breaking that we have to worry about our safety while going to public places because our country doesn’t have strict enough gun laws”

At the moment Earnest is being charged for three accounts of first degree murder. Police say they believe he acted alone and was not a part of any bigger organized group. As for the people in the community around the synagogue, they continue to give their love and support