Avengers: Endgame Breaks Record for Biggest Opening Weekend

This past weekend, “Avengers: Endgame” shattered the record for biggest opening weekend in film history with an estimated $350 million in ticket sales domestically and $1.2 billion globally.

These ridiculous numbers surpassed even the studios’ own domestic estimate, which sat between $260 million and $300 million. As stated before, the film blew right past this estimate, hitting an outstanding $350 million in sales.

This number more than surpasses the previous record of $257.7 million, which was also set by Marvel Studios with last year’s release of “Avengers: Infinity War”.

To accommodate the high demand for the film, the Walt Disney Co. released it in more theaters (4,662 in the U.S. and Canada) than any opening before.

This record is even more impressive when you consider the 161-minute runtime of the film. The near 3-hour runtime allows for far fewer showings, yet the record was still handily broken.

When asking local residents about the record, one upstanding citizen named Sean Teets shared his opinion. “The mere thought of how much money — 1.2 billion dollars globally raised — and how much of it was not being used to help fund homelessness and worldwide hunger is a disgrace and shouldn’t be celebrated at all.”

Disney now holds all but one of the top 12 box-office openings of all time, and they’re on pace for a record-breaking year, with films including “Aladdin,” ”Toy Story 2,” ”The Lion King,” ”Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” and “Frozen 2” set to release this year.

After this huge opening weekend, “Avengers: Endgame” is projected to rival some of the top all-time grossing movies, including “The Force Awakens” ($2.068 billion in 2015), “Titanic ($2.187 billion in 1997) and “Avatar” ($2.788 in 2009).