Scientists Discover Abnormal Black Hole

At a distance of nearly 8000 lightyears away, scientists have reported a rather unusual black hole. Named “V404 Cygni,” the black hole is nearly nine times the size of our sun. It first caught attention in 1989 because it was releasing jets and radiation, then again in 2015 for unleashing a bright outburst that lasted two weeks.

V404 Cygni has once again shown incredible behavior. Scientists found that in a matter of minutes it rapidly ejects jets of plasma and clouds into space.

The author of the study, James Miller-Jones, explains: “Like many black holes, it’s feeding on a nearby star, pulling gas away from the star and forming a disk of material that encircles the black hole and spirals towards it under gravity,” he said. “What’s different in V404 Cygni is that we think the disk of material and the black hole are misaligned. This appears to be causing the inner part of the disk to wobble like a spinning top and fire jets out in different directions as it changes orientation.”

It has also been concluded that the black hole rotates with such a strong gravitational pull that it is “frame-dragging,” or pulling nearby space and time with it as it rotates.

Senior Devon Brown commented on the incredible discovery saying: “I think it’s crazy that we have the technology to study such complex and obscure areas of space.”