The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Mongolian Couple die of bubonic plague after eating marmot, triggering quarantine

Mya Amato

After eating a raw marmot, a couple had been reported dead of the Bubonic Plague. They were under six days of quarantine that left a significant amount of tourists stranded in the region. The couple had wanted to try some raw meat and kidney of the marmot because it was believed to be a remedy for good health.

This rodent (The marmot) is very commonly associated with the highly contagious  Bubonic Plague. After the couple had passed, a quarantine was issued in Mongolia’s western Bayan Olgii province, which borders China and Russia.

Over 100 people had come into contact with the couple and had to be isolated immediately and treated with antibiotics.No other cases have been reported after the quarantine was lifted on Monday.

The CDC ( Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , says modern antibiotics are effective in treating plague, but without immediate care the infection can cause serious illness or even death. Some symptoms may include: fever, headache, chills, weakness and painful swelling in the lymph nodes. These cases were very common in the middle ages, but now are very rare to come across.

Human plague infections do continue to occur in the western United States, but significantly more cases occur in parts of Africa and Asia, according to the CDC.

Sophomore Muzafar Ali says that, ” It’s scary to think that going on a vacation can lead to your death. There are so many things you have to keep in mind that would never even cross it in America. I feel very bad for the outcome of their vacation.”

• LHS Student Body and Class Elections

Lakewood News

LHS Student Body and Class Elections

• Not-So-Strange Occurrences of the New Mask Mandate

Lakewood News

Not-So-Strange Occurrences of the New Mask Mandate

• Uncategorized

Mother Charged for Death of Her One-Year-Old Child

• Alleged St. Louis serial killer charged in two murders, possibly linked to four more

Uncategorized

Alleged St. Louis serial killer charged in two murders, possibly linked to four more

• A Change in Seasons

Environment

A Change in Seasons

• State of Edgewater Beach

Environment

State of Edgewater Beach

• New Movies Coming Out in 2021...

Uncategorized

New Movies Coming Out in 2021…

• Jeff Bezos Will Step Down as Amazon CEO on July 5th

Uncategorized

Jeff Bezos Will Step Down as Amazon CEO on July 5th

• Engineers are Now Harvesting Energy From WIFI Signals

Uncategorized

Engineers are Now Harvesting Energy From WIFI Signals

• Things to do in Cleveland this Summer

Uncategorized

Things to do in Cleveland this Summer

Activate Search