Moldovan man accused of faking his own death for $2M insurance payout

A Moldovan national was accused of faking his death eight years ago in Eastern Europe in order to split a $2 million life insurance policy with his ex-wife and son pleaded guilty Friday in a Minneapolis federal court.

According to Fox news, Vorotinov took out the life insurance policy with Mutual of Omaha in 2010 and named his then-wife, Irina Vorotinov, as the primary beneficiary. The couple divorced a few months later and the 54-year-old left Minnesota for Moldova, the former Soviet Republic in Eastern Europe, in 2011.

Someone in 2013 notified the FBI that Vorotinov was still alive and he was living in Transnistria, a small Russian-controlled region of Moldova, under a new name, Nikoly Patoka, with a girlfriend. A student from Lakewood High School, Evan Brown said,’ That is crazy that people are able to fake their deaths and make that much money.”

Tests were then conducted on the ashes in the urn and they discovered that the ashes were not Vorotinov’s and it was not immediately clear who’s they were. Vorotinov was indicted in 2015 and it wasn’t for another 3 years until he would be brought back to the U.S. in November of 2018.

His ex-wife Irina pleaded guilty in 2016 and was sentenced around 3 years and their son Alkin was sentence 3 years of probation for his involvement.

Vorotinov’s guilty plea comes after the U.S. Attorney’s Office agreed to seek a prison sentence of no more than 3 ½ years, the Star Tribune reported.

This is weird because who would have known that it was him if he was living in Transnistria, a small Russian-controlled region of Moldova and came from Eastern Europe.