Semra Dervisevic

Semra Dervisevic

Four, long, tiresome years are coming to an end for me shortly. As soon as I stepped onto those old, mod-building floors as a freshman, I was planning for graduation. Now, I will be stepping on stage as they say my name wrong and accepting a paper that validates all my hard work I’ve put in over the years.

It’s cliché of me to say the dances were the best part of high school but I am going to say it anyways. The dances were the best part of high school. Try to go to as many as you can.

My advice for underclassmen is to just get involved in extracurricular. Doesn’t matter what, each can pick their own, just get involved. My only regret is that I didn’t join a sport. I’m involved in clubs but I feel like it’s not the same environment as a sports team. Sports teams seem like you are more connected together and are kind of like a mini family.

Also, take advantage of all the various classes that are offered. When scheduling, find something you’re really interested in and make sure you make room for it. Having a class that you enjoy will give you something to look forward to during your long day of mandatory classes.

As I say goodbye to Lakewood High School, I say hello to Cleveland State University. I hope to achieve my master’s degree in chemical engineering. It took me many google searches and constant stress to figure out what I wanted to major in–who knows, I might even change it again. But, I came to my conclusion because I love chemistry and I want to help create innovative technology to help those who need it.

I mainly want to work with Lake Erie and other bodies of water around the world to help with their pollution and clarity.

Overall, I am excited to be leaving and excited to see what’s waiting for me in the real world.