Sweet Melissa is Closing

Located in Rocky River, across from Beachcliff Market Square, on Detroit Avenue is the restaurant Sweet Melissa.

Sweet Melissa has wide variety with a unique menu suitable to everyone. The menu includes:

• Coffee
    • Comfort food
    • Happy hour food
    • Healthy options
    • Kids’ menu
    • Quick bite
    • Small plates
    • Vegetarian options

Despite seemingly endless choices, the restaurant will be closing after 11 years of business. Their location in university heights had closed in 2018, after just 4 years of business.

Reasoning for the closing has not yet been shared, though the couple wrote to Facebook that, “…they had decided not to renew their lease. They said the news of their impending closure was “difficult to share,” according to The Patch.

Through my experience of dining there, it quite honestly is the most mediocre restaurant. The food was not amazing but not terrible either, the service was decent, and the atmosphere was tolerable. It is a little dark inside, but the baked goods are deleicious—other than that it is, as said before, very mediocre.

Local Lakewood High School student, Nate Bilski, is very upset about the closing; when asked he responded with, “Sweet Melissa was my favorite restaurant in the area. I went there for birthdays, special occasions, or just to grab a quick bite. It is a real shame that they are closing, I really like that place.”

While some may be upset, and others not so much, maybe there will come a new franchise in the location that will be better. Or maybe worse, who knows.