Lalia Riseng

Lalia Riseng

It is really hard to believe that high school is almost over. I have been here for four years, but it simultaneously feels like so much longer and so much shorter. My freshman year seems like a lifetime away, but also, it seems like it was just yesterday that I was walking through the school’s doors for the first time. It’s strange to think of the past years as molded into one big experience.

There are definitely a few experiences that stand out. I will always remember being able to go to the Galapagos Islands my junior year for the spring break science department trip; that time was the best vacation of my life and I saw things I never thought I’d be lucky enough to. It was not something I imagined ever doing, but I am so grateful I got to go and I know I will always remember it.

I think if I had to give advice to underclassmen, I would say to get involved in more things inside and outside of school. Any regrets I have come from the things I didn’t do, not the ones I did. I know a lot of time it just seems like extra work, but doing the bare minimum will actually make the experience more tedious. I met the most friends and had the most fun through organizations like the band and swim team. Even if those things don’t personally appeal to you there are plenty of others to choose from, depending on your own interests!

Also, don’t spend all of your time in high school wishing for it to be over. These don’t necessarily have to be “the best years of your life”, but you should still appreciate this time as a formative one–a time between being a child and adult. Just try to appreciate the moment you are in and try to be yourself, even if it means you might stand out from the crowd a little.

As for me, I am going to Ohio University next year. It’s strange and scary to be leaving high school (especially with so much uncertainty in the future), but it’s time to move on to the next thing. And I can definitely say I’m ready for summer!