Later Start Times

Later Start Times

Its Monday morning and you hear the dreadful sound of your alarm. The last thing you want to do is go work hard in school and give it you’re all. What makes that alarm so dreadful and the want to work so absent? Lack of enough sleep.

According to an article on neaToday, “Academic responsibilities and light-emitting devices– has degraded sleep quality and length so that students are only getting about 6 hours and 50 minutes of sleep per night” With the high stress of finishing loads of homework and the high use of phones– because of today’s society– where does sleep come into play?

If students are only getting about 72 percent of the amount of sleep they should be getting, their academic success could be improved.

An experiment was done in Seattle where two schools were chosen to change their starting time. It was changed from 7:50 to 8:45 am. With this time change students were getting on average, 34 more minutes of sleep a night.The people in charge of the experiment checked up on what they’re grades were looking like periodically and the results were just as expected. Kids were not absent as much and their final grades improved by an average of 4.5 percent.

A student here at Lakewood High school named Elijah Moncrief said,” I feel like when I come into school everyday I don’t have the amount of energy I should have.” The amount of energy that isn’t there, is because school starts too early for students to be able to budget their time.

More sleep has made these students be able to perform at the level they are meant to. Starting school early has no benefits other than getting out of school at an earlier time. If the whole point of going to school is to get children to succeed, shouldnt they get the most advantages possible?