The Healthiest Option

The Healthiest Option

A big problem in today’s society is obesity. Occurring in adults but mainly in children; it’s what keeps them from living an easy stress less life. The snacks for sale in schools play a big role in this, so why are they still being sold to students?

According to the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System,” 14.8% of high school students had obesity.” On average there are 752 students in a high school. To put into perspective that would mean that approximately 111 students in each school are obese. This is a serious problem that is only going to get worse with time. But what can be done to solve this?

Implementing healthier and more nutritional foods could give the kids no other choice but to take care of their bodies and eat healthy. Riley Ulintz, a student at Lakewood High School, said,” When I look at the vending machines in school, I think why are these the only options. Even adding some protein bars or healthier granola bars could make the vending machines more nutritional.”

The only cause for child obesity is poor eating choices. If this is a known fact then why are unhealthy snacks still being sold? Is it only for the money? Mahatma Gandhi once said, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” One of the most well-respected men in the world feels like we should care about our health more, and not only care about the money. By implementing healthier and more nutritional snacks to the vending machines, we can surpass this goal with ease.