“Joy, Peace, Love, Dance” at the Beck Center

Joy, Peace, Love, Dance at the Beck Center

Come see the dancers of the Beck Center for the Arts in their winter show, “Joy, Peace, Love, Dance!”

The event will take place in the Music & Dance Recital Hall (located in the rear of the Beck’s facilities) on Friday, December 6 at 7:00 pm; Saturday, December 7 at 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm; and Sunday, December 8 at 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm. Tickets are available on the Beck Center’s website and are priced at $10 for children (those under 12) and $12 for adults.

The family-friendly performance showcases ballet, pointe, jazz, contemporary and tap pieces set to a variety of holiday and Christmas tunes–audiences can witness a kickline to a Straight No Chaser song and a classical waltz to Émile Waldteufel’s Les Patineurs within a few festive minutes of each other!

Per tradition, the Beck Center will be offering sensory-friendly viewings of “Joy, Peace, Love, Dance” on Friday, December 6 at 9:30 am and 11:00 am. Performers miss school that day to dance for individuals that may have a difficult time sitting still, being around bright lights or experiencing loud music, and thus they typically do not attend theatrical events with their families. Attendees are given fidget toys, allowed to vocalize, and have the option of leaving and returning throughout the show. The lights in the audience are not dimmed as much as usual, and the music is turned down. Students from nearby schools typically attend these shows, as well as individuals that have requested to attend. These extra shows are a great way for the students of the Beck Center to give back to the community with the beautiful gift of dance, and they always draw a great crowd.

“It’s a really fun experience,” says Lilly Metzger, a Lakewood High School freshman and a long-time Beck Center dancer. “It’s great to see the joy on all of their faces and it is really fun for everyone.”

Students (from 8-year-olds to those in the Beck Center’s Dance Workshop company) have been practicing for months and cannot wait to share their talents with the public. These dance shows typically sell out quickly, so be sure to grab your tickets to this one-of-a-kind performance!