Decade Recap

Decade+Recap

It is now the month of December of 2019 and the year 2020 is coming up soon. This is the start of a new decade. Here are some things that have happened in these past 10 years that were big in the news:

In 2011 the big royal wedding happened. Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton got married and this wedding had over 22 million viewers. Many woke up early in the morning just to watch the wedding.  And in 2018 another royal wedding happened with Prince Harry of Sussex and Meghan Markle.

Technology has evolved greatly since 2010 when Apple released the iPad. From technology, social media has also become more popular. There have been many, “challenges,” that were recorded in videos and posted to the internet such as the cinnamon challenge, ice bucket challenge, war-head challenge, chubby bunny challenge, baby food challenge, and many people were even eating or trying to eat tide pods.

In December of 2012 people even thought that the world was going to end. It is now almost 2020, so obviously that did not happen.

In serious matters, the big, tragic earthquake in Haiti happened that killed 250,000 people. The murder of Osama Bin-Laden and the rise of terrorist attacks caused by ISIS also happened. The legalization of same-sex marriage finally happened in 2015. The rise of the Black Lives Matter Movement also became big.

Many young people went through obsessive phases during this decade. People went nuts over Pokemon Go– traveling to different places to collect another Eevee.  The dances such as Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, Running man and many other dances blew up the internet. Vine was also shut down in 2016 and people were devastated. A new app, Tik-Tok, is what people are all about nowadays.

In 2017 there were many marches for women when Donald Trump become President. States even tried to make a Heartbeat bill saying that if a heartbeat was detected in an unborn child then that woman can not have an abortion, such as Ohio. It is still a big issue in the news today.

These are just a couple of big events that have happened. As the new decade begins it will bring a lot of good and bad, but it is the start of something new. A student at Lakewood High School, Abbie Tuleta, said, “I can’t wait for what the new decade will bring.”