Super Bowl Preview

Super Bowl Preview

In the 100th season of the National Football League, the Super Bowl carries extra weight. Combine this with the magnitude of the 2 teams, we have on our hands one of the best match-ups ever. The Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers have both enjoyed successful but different seasons this past year. The 49ers still in the beginning stages of a new coaching staff, led by Kyle Shanahan. The Chiefs lead by perennial contending coach, Andy Reid.

These two teams have very different styles and strengths. The 49ers have the best rushing attack in the league, headed by NFC Championship star Raheem Mostert. The offense is led by 6th-year quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo who employs a “dink and dump” strategy in his air attack. The 49er defense is the best in the league and has little to no weaknesses, led by impressive rookie Nick Bosa.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, start Patrick Mahomes behind center. One of the most naturally talented players at his position in recent memory. Only in his 2nd year of starting, Mahomes is already a star: leading the Chiefs as the top passing offense in the league. Mahomes is supported by talented pass catchers Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

I asked NFL superfan, Sean O’Donnell, about his prediction for the game: “I think and hope the Chiefs will win, I hate the 49ers.” Strong words from a Lakewood senior!

The contrast in the playing styles of these two teams makes for what should be an exciting and interesting Super Bowl. The Chiefs opened as one-point favorites in the betting books, a very close margin. The next 2 weeks will be filled with preparation for the two teams along with the popular pro bowl this upcoming Sunday. A great time for NFL fans!