Swim and Dive Southwest Conference Championships

The first thing that is imperative to understand about the swim season is that the conference champion is not determined by record. Although dual meet records are important throughout the season, all slates are cleaned going into the conference meet, and the team with the most points will take a the title. This is definitely one of the most important meets of the season for all swimmers.

The divers started off the festivities on Friday night at Westlake Recreation Center. Lakewood has only one diver to its name, Tru Smith. Tru has worked incredibly hard this season to gain points for the Rangers considering he is a one man show! He was able to put on a strong performance and earn himself 4th place in the conference. Congratulations Tru.

The following morning, the varsity boys swim team bused over to Westlake to compete. The boys ended the day placing 7th out of 9 teams, an improvement from last year! Several relays and individuals took the podium for their accomplishments. Senior, Parker Polen, placed 6th in the 50 free and 5th in the 100 free, junior Sam Saracina scored points for the Rangers in the 200 and 500 freestyle, sophomore Ronson Tucker placed 9th in the 100 breaststroke, the 200 free relay placed 5th and the A 400 free relay placed 7th. Congratulations boys!

Just hours later, the girls arrived to swim for the conference as well. By the end of the meet, the lady rangers finished 6th out of 10, also an improvement on last year. Starting off the meet: the medley relay took 4th place, senior Sistina Simcox took 3rd in the 50 free and freshman Charlotte Beno took 6th. In the 100 butterfly, junior Ethel Woodford and Beno took 4th and 5th respectively. Simcox and senior Sophia Miranda scored points in the 100 freestyle. Sophomore Sarah Donaldson took 3rd in the 100 breaststroke in a very exciting race, and the 400 freestyle relay took 3rd to finish the meet.

The swimmers and Tru have another 2 weeks and grueling practice until they will compete in the sectional meet (first round of the state playoffs), next Saturday at Cleveland State University. Good luck to all athletes as they finish out their season.