Lakewood Hockey Season Recap

The Lakewood Rangers Varsity Hockey team’s season is just about complete. With their loss in the first round of the Baron Cup, the Rangers will have one last chance to make their mark in the state playoffs in the coming week.

Lakewood entered this season at a crossroads. Under the tutelage of Mark Furfolia and the leadership of seniors Will and Rob Holden, they were confident about their chances, especially with the arrival of several promising freshman. In a time of transition between old and young, there were questions about how the team would handle it.

Very well, apparently.

The squad finished the regular season with a 20-9 record in the blue north division, which is quite impressive.

The scoring load was handled almost exclusively by senior Will Holden, with support from Eli Ladue, Jude Johnson, and Gavin Fielder, all freshman. The defense was lead by junior veteran Alexander Blinky, however the prevention of goals was mainly left in the responsibility of standout senior goalie Rob Holden.

Both twins have broken records in their careers. Just this past week, Will Holden passed the record for most goals in school history, a remarkable accomplishment as he continues to climb the board in the state rankings. On the other hand, his brother, Rob, broke the school record for consecutive shutouts last year. Incredible careers, boys!

I sat down with Lakewood Ranger Hockey super fan Harlan Hoegner and asked him what our chances were in the upcoming playoff game.

“Well, we need to play better defense to help out Robbie that’s for sure, but heck, this team could do anything,” he says Inspiring words, Harlan!

Congratulations Varsity Hockey on a fantastic season.