Ohio Schools to Close for 3 Weeks

Ohio Schools to Close for 3 Weeks

On Thursday, March 12, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced during his press conference and via Twitter that Ohio public, private, and charter schools will have an extended, 3-week spring vacation due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic. The break will begin after school on Monday, March 16, and will last until April 3.

DeWine also stated that he will issue an order forbidding indoor gatherings of over 100 people, excluding those necessary for the function of libraries, airports, and other such institutions. Additionally, he noted that, for a brief period of time, retirement home visitations will be suspended. The announcements come after a fifth case of the coronavirus was confirmed in Ohio.

Lakewood City Schools responded swiftly to the governor’s orders, sending out emails and posting on social media to alert parents of their compliance with the instructions. Previously, the district had postponed all large events and field trips, including a Spain trip for Lakewood High art students and the Barnstormers’ production of the musical The Addams Family. Now, all school-sponsored events and events run in the schools are postponed, at least until after students return in April.

“I’m really sad that I won’t be able to play for the musical like I was supposed to,” says Lakewood senior and musician Julian Dirse. “I understand why they did it, though.”

Many parents of young students have been left wondering how they will balance work and childcare during this break, and others have unanswered questions regarding how their children will be fed without the schools’ free breakfasts and free lunches. While there is still much to figure out, many Lakewoodites have reached out on Facebook to say that they are willing to drop off food at people’s homes or babysit for a low price.

As many have admitted, these next few weeks are going to be difficult for everyone in Lakewood, in Ohio, in the United States. But we as a community have the opportunity and the ability to band together to help our neighbors and keep each other safe.