202 NFL Draft Recap

With the world on halt with our pandemic, the National Football League went ahead with their annual draft. A special night for college athletes who take the next step in their careers. The draft was scheduled for April 23-25 in Las Vegas, however due to our preexisting conditions, all picks were delivered virtually and all players watched at home with their families.

There is a common trend with drafts, either the #1 pick is completely up in the air even with a possible trade looming, or the team in first is unwavering in their confidence either due to need or because of the immense skill of one player. This year was the later, Athens, Ohio native, Joe Burrow was the first player taken in the draft. Chosen by a team all to close to home, the Heisman winning quarterback is headed to Cincinnati to try to rejuvenate a depleted Bengals team.

Despite the lack of question heading into the first pick, the rest of the draft proved to be exciting. Picked 2nd was Chase Young, a defensive end from Ohio State, he will be playing for the Washington Redskins. The Detroit Lions made some noise unexpectedly taking ultra-talented corner back Jeff Okudah 3rd overall out of Ohio State. The next quarterbacks taken were Tua Tagovailoa, 5th to the Dolphins, and Justin Herbert, 6th to the LA Chargers.

Highly coveted and suspected top 5er, Isaiah Simmons went 8th to the Arizona Cardinals. The Browns made their first pick at 10, taking Jedrick Wills, a terrific offensive lineman from Alabama as they look to give Baker Mayfield more protection. This draft was also known to have a great crop of NFL ready wide receivers, several teams thirsted over this opportunity. First off the board was Henry Ruggs who went to the Raiders, then came his Alabama teammate Jerry Jeudy, selected by the Denver Broncos. Two picks later, the Cowboys scooped up CeeDee Lamb, a raw talent out of Oklahoma.

Those are just the highlights. So many more memories and lives were made over these past couple day —  certainly a bright spot in our current climate.