Once In A Blue Moon

Once In A Blue Moon

On Wednesday, October 28, the moon was waxing gibbous, meaning more and more of the moon is visible every night, and gibbous meaning only a small crescent isn’t visible. From now until Halloween (Saturday, Oct 31st), less and less of the moon will be hidden by a shadow until we can see the whole moon.  ‘

Not only will we get a wonderful full moon this year, but that full moon will also be a blue moon, an occurrence that only happens every two and a half years. The last blue moon in the U.S. was in March of 2018, and the last time all time zones experienced a full moon on Halloween was 1944.

This year we have faced many surprises, but this little surprise that we might not even witness through our classic cloudy and rainy Cleveland weather, is a surprise that creates excitement and intrigue. There is much superstition around the full moon (or just the moon on general).

Full moons have the reputation of causing chaos, madness, and crime because, the myth claims, the human body is 75% water and as we already know, the moon controls the tide, so one could draw the conclusion that the moon has influence over the water in the human body. ABC News claims that “cops and hospital workers are among the strongest believers in the notion that more crime and trauma occur on nights when the moon is full.”

However, junior Sidney Bacon says not all bad comes from full moons. She claims “it brings clarity and resolves unanswered questions” and it allows you to “complete cycles and end bad habits.”

So this year on Halloween be careful, take the proper safety cautions to avoid the spread of COVID-19, and pay extra attention to feelings of mischief and clarity, because you may be a victim of the full moon.