Keeping Up with the Coronavirus

Welcome back to another episode of Keeping Up with Covid. Today’s episode asks if covid hasnfinally met its match? All joking aside, significant breakthroughs have been made in the way of slowing and even stopping Covid – 19.

According to NBC News, this month the company Pfizer came out saying that their vaccine was more than 90% effective. So what does this mean for the future of masks, quarantine, and 6ft.

Well, unfortunately not much. As the vaccine still has more trials to go through, its unknown how effective it is longer term and what its long term effects may be. That being said, this is still great news.

Breakthroughs like this mean that: A. Scientists are learning more about the Coronavirus and its weaknesses and B. we are on track for finding an effective vaccine that has the most minimal damaging effects.

Looking at this historically, this is very fast for a vaccine to be created. Polio, one of the United State’s most taxing and horrifying epidemics, took decades to find a vaccine. This is truly fast. But that leaves us with some standing questions.

Is the vaccine safe? What are the long-long term effects, including that for teenagers to midlife? How does this affect children vs the elderly? And, are you willing to be one of the first people to get the vaccine.

To answer one of these we go to Senior Jacob Kavc for an answer.

Q: Would you want to be one of the early people to try a Covid vaccine?

Jacob: “If I had the option, I would; I want to help in any way I can at this point. We won’t have an effective vaccine without people testing it.”

Jacob is right. Without people testing it, we’d have no idea if it even works.

I personally would be interested in trying.

The question is, are you?