Christmas Roses and Snowdrop Flowers

Christmas Roses and Snowdrop Flowers

When the lively green stems and leaves give in to their unavoidable seasonal duties, it is hard to maintain the Vitamin D-rich mindset we all grow so used to in the summer. Although there is always the option of taking care of plants indoors, it can still be disappointing to go outside and only see white and brown where there used to be vibrant greens, reds, yellows, purples, and pinks.

Junoir Amal Elhachdani finds herself “upset that there aren’t any flowers now that it’s winter.” She is not alone in missing the colorful and dopamine-inducing blooms that tend to fade away come late Fall.  So here are some plants that take on the winter and come through victorious.

Evergreens such as Austrian Pines, Blue Spruces, Yews, and Scotch Pines are some of the only trees that don’t lose their leaves during the fall. These trees are what account for most of the green that can still be sighted in the winter; they provide wonderful smells and familiarity of the once luscious forests seen in the summer.

Flowers such as the Christmas Rose and Snowdrop Flowers bloom in the winter. They are both perennial which means they come back for at least three years, and like most flowers, they don’t last all winter. The Christmas Rose blooms in early winter and lasts until the new year, which means they have to be planted in the Spring for the best results. While the Snowdrop Flowers bloom around February and have to be planted in late Spring. Although it’s not much, these are some solutions to helping one escape the dark and lifeless winter.