Cleveland Browns Clinch Playoff Spot

18  years.  That’s how long it has been since the last time the Cleveland Browns made the playoffs.  For most of us here at Lakewood High School, this will be the first time getting to watch our hometown team go all out in the playoffs.

The Browns have had an up and down season right from the start.  In just the first game, they got their butts kicked by the Baltimore Ravens 7-38! But then they had a strong next four weeks going 4-0, bringing them to 4-1 going into week 5. The Browns showed great promise throughout these four weeks, beating a top ten defense (Indianapolis Cots).

Going into week 16, the Browns were 10-4 only needing a win to secure a spot in the playoffs.  The game was against the New York Jets who only had one win in the season prior to this game.  What should have been an easy win for the Browns became a critical loss, making it so a win against the Pittsburgh Steelers was needed to clinch a playoff spot.

Before the game, it was announced that most of the Steelers star players were going to rest for the game knowing they already had the first spot in the AFC north clinched.  After a very nerve-racking 45 minutes of football, the Browns took the game 24-22.  Most Steelers fans were getting on the Browns fans saying that we shouldn’t be happy considering we beat their second team only by two.  ” I don’t think Steelers fans realize that we haven’t been to the playoffs since 2002 so we are not celebrating that one win because we beat the Steelers, but because we are finally in the playoffs,” says sophomore Quinton Turpin.

It is not looking too good for the Browns so far.  Our head coach, great offensive lineman, and many others are out on the COVID list for our game on Sunday. The only thing we can do now is to wait and hope for the best with the situation we are in.