Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith

Junior Ryan Smith is an amazing athlete and student here at Lakewood High School.  Ryan juggles three sports year-round in addition to school.  He runs cross-country, swims, and plays baseball.  He’s no slouch at any of the three.

Q: How has COVID-19 affected your season so far?

A: “Well now because of COVID we have to wear masks all of the time, obviously.  But, it’s also gotten more involved than that.  We’ve had to stop practice for up to two weeks in a row because someone got COVID.  That really hurts us because we can’t get any practice in.”

Q: How do you feel about school now that we are in person?

A: “I actually prefer having school in person because I’m able to focus way more.  When I’m on the Zoom calls I would get easily distracted.”

Q: Would you recommend the swimming team for other students without a sport or club?

A: I definitely would, but I’d also tell them it is very tough. I’d also recommend it to anyone without a winter sport, it gets you ready for the spring season.”

Q: Do you enjoy being on the swimming team?

A: ” I would say I do enjoy it.  It has some ups and downs but for the most part, the positives outweigh the negatives.”

Q:  What are some of your favorite memories from high school so far?

A: “One of my favorite high school memories was when the Lakewood High School Cross Country team went to a meet in New York.  It was just a lot of fun and it was a great team-bonding experience.  The place was just cool from a design standpoint.”

Q: What is your plan for after high school?

A: “I plan to major in Biology at either Case Western Reserve University or Ohio State.”