Incoherent Insurrection

Incoherent+Insurrection

On January 6th, 2021, the US Capitol Building was violently attacked. What is now being called an act of domestic terrorism has the FBI tracking down some of the main culprits of the infamous attack. Let’s take a look at the initial attack and the repercussions that followed.

On January 6th, thousands took to Pennsylvania Avenue to “protest” the confirmation of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. As rioters made their way to the Capitol Building, they surrounded the building and made their way into the entrances. Many famous photos have surfaced from the infiltration, with some of the most famous having been of Adam Johnson, the man who stole Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s podium, and Kevin Lyons, the man who took photos in her office. 

When the rioters initially broke in, Congress was evacuated for the representatives to get to safety. Many other surrounding buildings were evacuated as well. Guards were forced to draw weapons to defend the main chamber and as a result, five people died in the scuffle. 

While the looting and vandalism continued, President Trump was asked to summon the National Guard to the Capitol to quell the violence. He resisted and instead posted a video to Twitter instructing the rioters to simply “go home.” Of course, that was not very effective. The National Guard did arrive at a later time but the damage was already done. 

In the following days, the riots were widely condemned by both Democrats and Republicans, with many going so far as to call it a “failed insurrection” and comparing it to Shays’ Rebellion. Many people have lost their jobs due to their involvement and appearance at the event, and those whose photos went viral have been tracked down by the FBI. Most notably, the two men previously mentioned were arrested in the last few days, as well as one West Virginia Senator who live-streamed himself at the Capitol.

As of now, many have been met with the swift justice that they rightfully deserve and only time will tell how peaceful the next few months will be with the transition of power from the Trump administration to the Biden administration.