Is Serena Williams the Best Athlete of All Time?

Following the Buccaneer’s win at the Superbowl on February 7th, Tom Brady has officially won seven times. This sparked a debate wondering if Brady was the best athlete ever, and many people threw Serena Williams in too.

Williams began her professional career in 1995, with a promising future ahead. She achieved her first Grand Slam title after winning the 1999 US Open. And as of February 8th, Williams has won 39 Grand Slam titles.

A Grand Slam is a win at the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon, or the U.S. Open, and an athlete who wins all four of these in a year is coined a “Calendar Year Grand Slam.” Williams has won 23 grand slams in singles tennis, 14 in womens doubles, and 2 in mixed doubles. With her 23 wins in singles, Williams has won the second-most times behind Margaret Court, and the most in the open era.

Another thing fans on Twitter found notable in support of Williams’ being the best athlete of all time is her win at the Australian Open while pregnant in 2017.

Williams’ impressive achievements and the volume of them certainly put her among the greatest athletes in the world, but who is the best of all time may be more of a matter of opinion than anything else.