“2026” by Kayla Robinson

The year 2020 was the year our world fell apart, virus, political division, and death. Ever since then, we have been in this state of uncertainty, and we don’t know how to fix it. I was eight years old when the virus first struck. I didn’t get how serious this was then now I’m 14 years old, and I see how bad this all is. This is my childhood. I don’t want this to be my future. I don’t want this to be our future.

The government has implemented many systems to try to control covid, but they all never seemed to work. The newest one is quarantine control, they have put government-issued locks on everyone’s houses. The only way to unlock them is to prick your finger and put it on the pad to make sure we’re virus-free. We’re prisoners in our own homes now, but the funny thing is the government and the wealthy don’t have any quarantine restrictions. The government is always saying it will go away; we just have to wait. But it’s, not going anywhere if we’re not all participating in the quarantine. Haven’t they learned from the past six years that this is bigger than all of us and the only way to stop it is to contain it?

You know if you look up the definition of covid that nothing shows up besides news articles and all the different effects it has on people. I find it to be really strange that the medical officials and the government still haven’t figured out a definition for a virus that is killing people. I just can’t see how they would let this spin out of control. Mom and Dad think that this new quarantine is going to fix it all, but I don’t think it will work. I think that there is something out there that can stop all of this. The government and the higher-ups don’t care about this because they have something else planned. I just know it. 

School is in the school building but we’re all at home, and we’re hologram into the building. The school board thought it would be a good compromise for the people who wanted to come back and the people who wanted to stay home. I think it’s crazy why spend money to have holograms walk around an empty building to make it feel like we’re in school. But hey at least we’re still learning. I hope college is nothing like this. I hope that things will be like how they were. My Sister got to go to college before all of this, she always talked about the challenging classes, dorm rooms, the quad, I just want to have that experience.

Shopping in stores is banned. We have everything delivered either online or a shopping packet you get in the mail. I remember the last time my Mom and I went to the store, it was Target, and she and I were fighting the crowds for the toilet paper and water filters. But all I wanted to do was go to the toy aisle and find mini brands. Isn’t that funny we were all in a state of crisis and all I wanted to do was find mini brands. My family and haven’t been to a store since, now when we shop it through Amazon, Grubhub, or stores delivery service. We never go out for anything we are stuck in this house.

The news has been saying for years that “there’s a vaccine it’s going to stop covid” and it was true for a while people were getting vaccinated but the side effects made things worse, new strains of the virus started to pop up, and next thing we knew we were right back where we started. Johnson & Johnson even had one that was supposed to prevent covid and keep you alive even if you got it, but that was a bust too. I don’t understand the world has had viruses and epidemics before with way less medical and technical advances and they got through it why haven’t we.

Recently there has been talk about the United State building a spaceship city for life in space. So we destroy the earth and move to space so we can destroy that too. My Dad thinks it’s only going to be for the wealthy and important people in the world. This isn’t too far-fetched, but I just can’t see them leaving people. Like they just leave the little guys so they don’t have to die, what happens if they bring the virus to space what are they going to do then.

I’m tired of sitting around waiting to be told everything is fine. I’m tired of living in sweatpants. I’m tired of pretending that this is okay or that we’re getting through this. We’re not, we are at the same place we were six years ago. I don’t want to be like this anymore. I want real solutions. I want there to be equal quarantine among all classes. I want a real-life, not life over the internet or home life. I want a real life. I want to have experience. I want to see the world. I want to fall in love. I want to do all the things in life a person can do, but I don’t want to do them through a screen. I want a full life.