Daylight Saving

What Is It Contributing?
    Daylight Saving
    eBay

Losing an hour of sleep over the weekend can be especially hard to accept when there is no understandable benefit to the disruption in your rhythm. Daylight Saving has not had a progressive impact on our technology-laced lives, and nor will it ever, so why do we do it?

Turning the clock back and forth was originally a measure passed during WWI to allow shoppers an extra hour to shop and contribute to the economic success of the struggling businesses during wartime. It also allowed farmers to align their workday with the sun. Alarm clocks and the white-collar workforce have eliminated the need for a natural rhythm of the sun to dictate the industrialized society we belong to. Our minds find the whirring of cars relaxing as we fall asleep next to a highway, so turning our clock back and forth to follow the sun seems pretty irrelevant.

Congress has proposed a bill that will eliminate all future Daylight Savings, sticking with the time determined by Sunday’s loss of an hour. Several states have already passed legislation of such nature because as the world falls under the spell of technology, certain traditions meant to guide the world before digital clocks are no longer necessary. This acknowledgment of the lack of progression found in certain old traditions could potentially represent the modernization of America.