Microsoft’s HoloLens 2

wired.com

Microsoft’s HoloLens 2 is actually a mixed-reality headset instead of a virtual reality headset. If you didn’t know, mixed reality is the combination of the real world and the virtual world. An example of this could be holograms.

All of the main improvements between the HoloLens and HoloLens 2 was that it was more comfortable, it was more immersive, and “it offers more out-of-box value than the first HoloLens,” says Alex Kipman, the lead developer of the HoloLens.

These mixed reality headsets aren’t centered for commercial use. The developers of HoloLens are focusing their product on people who work in things like design or manufacturing. “It’s for people whose jobs are being digitally transformed,” says Alex Kipman.

As to how Microsoft improved the comfort in the HoloLens 2: they changed it so the weight is distributed all around the headset instead of the weight in the front, like how the original HoloLens used to be.

The FOV and display were also both upgraded. The HoloLens had a 34 degree FOV and a 720p display, but the HoloLens 2 now has a 52 degree FOV and a 2K display.

For actually controlling the device, more advanced hand gestures are available when using the HoloLens 2. It also includes eye-tracking, so things like reading articles will be much easier to do, mainly because the device will scroll for you when you reach the bottom of the page.

Microsoft is working on something called Dynamics 365 Guide, which is a premade group of software features that will fit right into instructional apps for the HoloLens 2. So if someone needs to know how to do something, and the app is not already made, then you could make that app in minutes.

Currently, the HoloLens 1 and 2 are not available for commercial use, but possibly in the future Microsoft may create one thats sole purpose is for things like gaming or watching movies. “This sounds really cool. I wish I could try them out,” says Quinton Turpin, a sophomore at Lakewood High School.