Fighting Coronavirus With Drones

Fighting Coronavirus With Drones

At times such as these, people with health conditions need to be extremely cautious. This could be difficult though because they could be exposed to the virus. Zipline, a San Franciso-based company, is working hard in Africa to keep people with chronic health issues safe.

Zipline uses the help of drones to fly medication to patients at their homes. This helps not only that singular person but everyone around them as well. This is because hospitals are packed to the brim with patients, whether that be for treatment or for coronavirus cases. By reducing the number of people coming in and out of hospitals, Zipline is keeping many out of harm’s way.

In the past, Zipline has used drones to deliver blood and medical products to hospitals and health centers in Rwanda. In the last year, they have expanded into Ghana, and now have plans to help out in the United States as well.

Zipline has two distribution centers in Rwanda and four in Ghana. They are especially effective because of the lack of roads and refrigerated vehicles. Doctors order products from their phones and drones make the deliveries within a 50-mile range, in an average of 30 minutes, according to Zipline. The drones can carry up to four pounds of supplies and drop them using a simple paper parachute.

Zipline says that it has already delivered over 60,000 units of blood, critical medicines, and vaccines for measles, polio, and other diseases. Now the company is working with the governments of Rwanda and Ghana to support their coronavirus response efforts.

It will be exciting to see how Zipline can change the face of medical transport in the United States. The future looks bright for deliveries with drones, whether that be your Amazon package or a life-saving medication.