Swensons: A Survivor

Here pictured is the Avon location.
    TripAdvisor
    Here pictured is the Avon location.

In the 1950’s, drive-in diners were king of the fast food world. Since then, their popularity has been largely replaced with drive-throughs that we’ve come to know. One drive-in has survived that major change. Swensons has remained open since its original date in 1934, serving customers with the famous Galley Boy for nearly 87 years. 

Now at the moment, there isn’t currently a Swensons in Lakewood. The nearest location currently is in North Olmsted; however, its rising popularity could lead to a closer location in the future. If you’ve never been to one, the experience might be strange the first time. When you reach the car park, you’re asked to park with your headlights facing the building. Not too soon after, a server will break into a full-on sprint up to your car and greet you at the driver’s window. Besides the rather hilarious introduction, the staff is always friendly and quick to get you anything you need. 

The menu you are presented with is fairly concise with most of its items consistent with that of what you would find in a diner, including burgers, hot dogs, milkshakes, sloppy joes, sandwiches, and even onion rings and french fries. Their most popular item is of course the Galley Boy: a burger topped with two sauces, two patties, and lots of cheese. This is a personal favorite of mine not only for its amazing taste but its price.

Once again, we’ve looped back around to price, the bane of most people’s existence. Swensons has unbeatable prices with their most expensive burger coming in at only $4. You can easily spend less than ten dollars for a full meal and with such a wide variety of menu items you can satisfy even the pickiest eaters. So, if you’re looking for a fairly quick bite to eat with some friends that requires minimal effort then Swensons is certainly the place for you!