Lakewood Boy’s Varsity Soccer

The Lakewood Boys’ varsity soccer team this year is looking impenetrable, starting the year 2-2. They took the crown this past Wednesday night during the Riverwood Cup at Garfield Middle School where they won 1-0 and took down Rocky River. Dipesh Magar scored the only goal to clutch the game in the 68th minute.

This senior team has been working day in and day out during this off-season to be able to even have a chance at an amazing last year for their senior players, but the returning varsity players will hopefully have something to look back on and shoot for next year. Senior and starting varsity player Cale Clemons says, “We started off kind of slow but as we get deeper into the season I feel as if everyone is getting more comfortable and starting to get more into their play style and everything we have worked for is starting to show.”

Covid-19 has greatly affected all athletes at Lakewood High, even taking a whole year from most sports, but as we can see with a lot of these potentially amazing athletics, they overcame the adversity attached to dealing with Covid-19 and the restrictions it put onto the players during that season of absence. Players only have four years to play, so losing an entire year can cause some athletes to not be where they should be potential-wise. We will just have to wait and see how much Covid-19 truly affected these players as the varsity team closes the season out.