Noise Pollution

Noise+Pollution
    science wiki

Noise pollution is a danger, both on land and in the sea. It is not seen but nonetheless, it’s present. Noise pollution is known to be any unwanted or disturbing sound that affects the health and well-being of humans and other organisms.

In our environment there are many sounds, from rustling leaves (20 to 30 decibels), to a clap of thunder (120 decibels), even the sounds of sirens (120 to 140 decibels). Decibels are how we measure sound; sounds of 85 decibels or higher can harm one’s ears. Sounds that surpass this threshold are as follows; lawn mowers reaching up to 90 decibels, trains reaching about 90 to 115 decibels, and loud rock concerts which are about 110 to 120 decibels.

Noise pollution impacts millions everyday. The most common health problem it causes is Noise Induced Hearing Loss or NIHL. Loud noise exposure can increase blood pressure, cause heart disease, and cause sleep disturbances and high stress levels. These can affect all age groups, children especially. Many children who live near noisy airports or streets have been found to suffer from stress and other problems, such as impairments in memory, attention level, and reading skill.

Noise pollution also affects wildlife. Research has shown that noise pollution causes caterpillar hearts to beat faster and bluebirds have been found to have fewer chicks. Many animals rely heavily on sound including, navigation tactics, to find food, to attract mates, and to avoid predators. Noise pollution can make it difficult for them to accomplish such tasks, therefore affecting their ability to survive. The increasing problem of noise pollution is affecting not only the living on land, but also wildlife in the oceans.